Fruits and vegetables do not have a long shelf life in their un-processed forms. Un-processed fruits and vegetables are food commodities that are perishable. Thus, most kinds of fruits and vegetables are usually processed into jam, juices, jellies or pickles in order to extend their shelf life. According to Paul, the making of jellies and other preserves is an old and popular process to keep fruits far beyond their normal storage life. Jams are thick, sweet spreads made by cooking crushed or ground fruits with sugar. Jams tend to hold their shape, but it is generally less firm than jellies. Normally, jam is made of mixture of not less than 45 parts by weight of fruits or fruits ingredient and 55 parts by weight of saccharine ingredient. Jams are usually sugar-acid-pectin gels or low methoxyl pectin calcium gel and the main ingredients of jams are including fruits, sugar, pectin and acid. Different fruits will give each product its characteristic flavour and colour. Normally, flavourful, just ripen fruits are used for producing better taste of jam. Acid is added into jams for both gel formation and flavoring purpose. The amount of acids added varies among fruits used for jam production. Usually, under-ripen fruits will need higher amount of acids. Besides acids, sugar is also another important ingredient for jam production. This is because sugars can help in preserving fruits, forming gel and also contributing in the flavour of jam. Next, pectin is a naturally-occurring thickening agent that is most often used in the jams and jellies products to help them gel and thicken. It is a carbohydrate found in and around cell walls of plants. Pectin helps to bind the cells together. Most of the fruits contain pectin. However, the amount of pectin contained in each fruit is varies widely. Apples contain the most pectin, thus its pectin is used commercially to thicken many different types of products. Pectin generally needs some acids and a high sugar content to activate. Thus, the commercially available pectin will include citric acid as an ingredient to help ensure it is working with the products successfully. Pectin can be in both powder and liquid forms.
MATERIALS AND APPARATUS
- Fruits (Pineapples) .
- Sugars .
- Pectin A and B .
- Water .
- Citric Acid
- Brix Meter 2.
- pH meter 3.
- Air Tight Containers 4.
- Thermometer 5.
- Cooking Utensils
In conclusion, the ratio of fruit to sugar could affect the desirable attribute in jam product and also the physiochemical properties of the jam. The pectin used in the formulation, pH and the °Brix of the jam effect the gel strength of the jam. Also the specific pectin have their own pH that will result in jam desirable attribute. Texture of jam is a composite property related to a number of physical properties such as, pH, sugar concentration, viscosity and elasticity, and their relationship is complex.
Every jam consists of three main ingredients, with the amounts and ratios varying for different fruit, depending on their natural sweetness and juice content.
Oh, the possibilities! Jam isn’t limited to just blushing berries or juicy stone fruit, although the classics are hard to beat. Try fig jam with a cheese tray, onion jam alongside roast pork, or a tart cranberry confiture. I’ve even heard of bacon jam.
Available in liquid or powder, this natural thickener is often made from the rinds of citrus. Some well-known brands are Certo, Bernardin, and Ball. Liquid and powdered pectins can’t be used interchangeably, as each have their unique recipes; however, jams made with powdered pectin have triple the shelf life than those made with the liquid, and I usually choose to work with powder for this reason.
Sugar is a preservative as well as a sweetener. It should always be measured with a dry measuring cup and the amount never reduced, as it helps the jam to set properly.
FRUIT JAMS: MAKE YOUR BODY HEALTHIER
Knowledge is power. By knowing the truth about fruit jams you will be able to make positive, healthy decisions, and choices when it comes to your diet. The choices you make today for yourself and your family will define their eating habits for generations.
How can Jam make my body healthier? It’s loaded with sugar, and corn syrup and HFCS, and stuff I can’t even pronounce. All Jams are not created the same. Not all jams have the same amount of sugar, some don’t have corn syrup in them, nor do they all have HFCS.
Luna Grown jam is not made with HFCS we use real Pure Cane Sugar. Luna Grown is GMO-free, gluten free, loaded with fiber and has less sugar than conventional jams, jellies, and preserves. A pride to serve and enjoy!
Of course there is the common sense approach that everything in moderation is the best way to go. Fresh fruit is always a healthy choice for you but trying to spread a whole apple across a piece of toast just isn’t the same as a nice teaspoon of fresh jam.
There are many health benefits provided by fruits jams.
- Unlike butter, margarine, Nutella, and cheese, Jams do not contribute to the cholesterol and fat content of your body. Jam helps maintain a healthy weight when following recommended serving sizes.
- Pectin is a substance contained in all fruits. During the heating process of making jams, this substance gets modified. The modified pectin can help reduce your chance of developing cancer, as well as: Improve the health of hair, skin and finger nails, decrease bone loss, reduce constipation and diverticulitis and help the body form red blood cells. (a caution to those suffering from diverticulitis, seeds in jams may irritate this condition, please consult your doctor before consuming jams containing seeds.)
- Jams are rich in sugar and a great source of Energy and Fiber. They curb hunger, helping us to eat less and be satisfied without cravings (please note this is not the case when consuming Jam made with High Fructose Corn Syrup). By doing so they also reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Since they are high in calories, the weight loss seekers and those diagnosed with diabetes should use jams sparingly. For more information about Diabetes and your Diet please read Eating Well With Diabetes. It is important that we know the Truths and the Myths regarding Sugar and how if affects our bodies.
- Jam made with chunks of healthy fruit can help reduce the risk of stroke, heart attack and all other potential cardiovascular diseases.
- Jam has most of the health benefits of fruit, most notably, heart healthy, cancer fighting antioxidant power. It can help reduce risk of developing various cancers, particularly mouth, stomach, and colon-rectum cancer. In pregnant women, reduce risk of neural tube defects, spina bifida, and anencephaly during fetal development.
- Jam is a concentrated source of nutrition when made with fully ripened fruits.
Preparation of mixed fruit preserves generally involves the use of added pectin as a gelling agent, although most fruits contain a degree of pectin, added pectin helps ensure a nice gel and healthy shelf life.
There are various types of mixed fruit jams made globally. Fruit jam can be made from sweet or savory ingredients. Properly, the term mixed fruit jam refers to a product made with blend of whole fruit, cut into pieces or crushed. The different fruits used in mixed fruit jam usually vary. Fruits are heated with water and sugar to activate the pectin in the fruit. The mixture is then put into containers. It comes in myriad varieties.
By adding sugar and pectin (depending on the type of pectin) some jams only have to cook at boiling for as little as ten minutes instead of two and half hours. This helps retain the natural nutritional value of the fruit while ensuring shelf stability. Which is why choosing a jam that utilizes fresh fruits, healthy ingredients and proper production is an important health decision.
Knowing that choosing the right fruit jam as a main staple in your life, and indulging in a health conscious lifestyle will not only give you great peace of mind, but also a healthy happy future to embrace.